intro/ my plan/ the current state of things

About me:
Hey. My name is Naomi Curran and I am a 22-year-old Senior Psychology student. I am from a small, rural town in Minnesota, where Trump flags outnumber rainbow ones (yes, even in 2022. I wish this were a joke). This is my first art course at Lawrence, but I have enjoyed creating things in my free time over the years. Social media and social photography pose an emotional challenge for me, as someone who is generally always already thinking about, and fretting over how I will be/could be/was/am perceived. 

I like pictures of pictures. Lots of layers to think about.

I hate time:
I am particularly interested in the ways in which social photography and art have the potential to skew our sense of linear time. I am a naturally anxious person, which means that my mind often resides in the future; more specifically, a catastrophic future. This tendency of believing that they future will be/is awful drives to me to believe that the present is the best it's gonna get. 

Jurgenson (2019) states that "Social photography, and the audience it promises, position us in the present with a constant awareness of how it will be perceived in the future. . . ultimately making us nostalgic for the here and now" (27). I am intimately familiar with this constant bite; living in the future, looking back at the now with "anticipatory nostalgia"(3). It sounds sweet in prose, but I experience it more as desperate- an awareness of how good this moment is- the helplessness of knowing that it's passing as we speak. This feeling intensifies near big life changes or endings or beginnings (hello, graduation!!). 

My plan:
What am I supposed to do with this information? At the very least, it gives me plenty of feelings about what to make. Could social photography help me convey this desperate anticipatory nostalgia? 

This term, I plan to use social photography/art in the way it's meant to be used- to pour my personal crises into the public consciousness for a letter grade. In truth, I haven't spent enough time in art to know what my personal style is, but I do know that I have feelings, and I do know that the concept of time is insane, and I do know that photography agrees with me that time is insane. So, those are the elements that I plan to use. 

Things I have made:
pen drawing- probably my most common format
ORANGE BE LIKE
moss
pencil drawing- i like to draw people the most.

Comments

  1. Wow your drawings are excellent! I can feel the sorrow in that woman's facial expression (pencil drawing).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment