Modularity, Grid, Pattern

The Lupton/Phillips describes the grid as "a means of generating form" (175). In my photo I used the grid to create structure and bring up contrast between artificial and natural. My photo shows someone sitting in a playground which is made of several interlocking grid patterns which are moving on a few different planes. 

Phillips says that "Dividing a square into nine identical units is a classic design problem" (176). I like how the closest/ largest grid in my photo uses this nine unit form, but breaks from it as well. The nine unit form is also how instagrams editing feature shows your photo. The interaction between the perfect instragram nine square grid (which is also how profiles are organized) with my partial grid emphasizes the natural in my photo, even though ropes of the grid are constructed as well. 

The grids lying on different planes behind the subject give a good feeling of reliable pattern, but the occasional green and white metal also break the pattern up into new non-square shapes. At the same time, the thickest lines create a strong triangle in the background. The many geometric shapes contrast with the natural blue sky and the subject in the center. 

Comments

  1. I like the variety of the differently-sized grids that are intertwined and connected with one another on different levels of depth. It makes the composition quite dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the aspect of involving yourself within the grid (like in playground equipment)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment