rhythm, balence, scale, texture.

This week I focused on texture and rhythm, as well as a bit of photo editing. My post depicts a vague, fuzzy white shape on a light blue background, resembling fluffy clouds on a tranquil day. When you swipe right, the unedited version reveals that the photo is a cozy sweater rather than the sky. 

I initially wanted to focus on the texture of the sweater, but by experimenting with re-coloring and blurring it, I realized I could manipulate the texture to become something new.

Once I saw the resemblance, I then adjusted the blur to play to the cloud imagery I desired. Lupton and Phillips state that textures "exist as optical effect and representation"(53). The texture of the fabric gives a representation of clouds without them being there, which also evokes an emotional association of peace and comfort.

I also enjoy the smooth, wavelike loops of the fabric/clouds. To me, these feel like a gentle rhythm. Lupton and Phillips describe rhythm as "a strong, regular, repeated pattern"(29). The repetition of the softly looping lines give me a sense of swelling with waves, which also convey a sense of calm and comfort.


Comments