The Insecurity of Photographic Truth

I really enjoyed Jurgenson's idea of a photo as "at most only a limited truth, which raises as many questions as it answers" (103). This was referring to photos in general, whether or not you intend them to be so. However, I wanted to emphasize it this week by trying to post some photos that create more questions than they do answers.

I think that some photos fight against the aspect of the unfinished or conciliatory nature of photography, trying to just depict 'truth'. And others embrace the "game of reveal and conceal" (103) as part of the art and the fun. Some of it is probably about mundanity and familiarity, but the method of the photographer can also depict more of a straightforward scene, or something more confusing or questionable.

I think that the first photo invites questions because of lack of context clues about where I am, where the light/ reflections are coming from/ and of course what exactly we are looking at. There are a lot of layers going on, I'm not sure if anyone would notice that I am in it if I didn't point that out in the caption.

The second photo would also invite questions in real life I think. But the act of putting it on instagram is further erasing any context clues an observer may have.




Comments