The Looking Glass Self

I am interested in Jurgenson's idea of creating identity and the self through performing it over social media. I am familiar with this concept through Judith Buter's writings about gender performativity.

Jurgenson connects identity formation to social media: "Selfies make plain the ongoing process of identity construction"(54). I wanted to exemplify this ongoing process in my posts this week, as well as call some attention to the calculatedness of such a performance in contrast with the "uncalculated bursts of authenticity"(54) which society expects. 

Jurgenson describes the self as "a story you tell yourself to connect the person you once were to who you are now to who you will become" (54). I wanted to post my selfies in no particular order, to make a long-term process instant, and to draw attention to the fact that they are being manipulated, and not as natural as they might appear on the timeline. 





Comments

  1. I like that there is no timeline present in this photo series bc it emphasizes the variety of your looks and reinvention of those more, which makes you look very multifaceted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment